Saturday 7 May 2016

and enjoys some new ones

This week I had a quick trip back to  Edinburgh to meet up with friends and grab a bit of culture (and shopping).  I love my life here in Argyll, it's certainly not a cultural desert, we've a fab local cinema, there's music, and lots of creative people producing great arts and crafts, but one thing we don't have so much access to is "big name" exhibitions and last time I was  in Edinburgh I'd  spotted an ad. for Masters of the Everyday, Dutch Artists in the Age of Vermeer at the Queen's Gallery at Holyrood Palace. So I decided to combine a visit to it, with a catchup session with some girlfriends.

getting in the city mood, a century of Vogue on the  train 

I like the Queen's Gallery, it's just the right size and as you might imagine puts on some pretty good shows, after all H M has one of the world's largest art collections,  so there are loads  of great paintings to choose from.  And to use a much abused word,  the exhibitions are always well curated, with just the  right amount to see. I get sensory overload if I go to a really massive exhibition and much prefer smaller shows that leave me wanting more.


I'm sure the GlamourPuss has a pair like that

card players were a popular subject


Vermeer detail




The exhibition runs until the 24th July, catch it if you can.

the gallery itself is lovely

After my culture fix I had a quick trip to the shops and then had lunch at The Forth Floor Brasserie at the top of Harvey Nichols. It's an old favourite of mine from my Edinburgh days, I love the views and the buzz.

tea with a view


And where did I stay? Here!

respite from the heels

The Hub by Premier Inn, on East Market Street  between Waverley station and the Royal Mile. It's pretty new and a good addition to the budget hotel scene. Rooms certainly are compact but very well designed, with a good amount of storage, comfy beds and generous showers. I don't know how much I'd like to share the space but it was great as as solo traveller. One proviso, if you're short and have reduced mobility you could have a problem getting into bed;  the non hanging storage is underneath so  they are quite high. My feet couldn't touch the floor when I was sitting on it (I'm  quite short, 5'2). Still  that didn't put me off and I was all set to rebook for my next trip south but prices had risen so I'm trying out yet another budget option then.

homeward bound


But before that, I've an  island safari to look forward to,  and MrS and Dogstarke  get to come on that.

Until then

Marina x

No comments:

Post a Comment