Tuesday 15 September 2015

A tale of two houses

It was my birthday recently and I celebrated with a trip to Glasgow.  It was lovely because most of my favourite people (and DogS) were able to join me there too.  MrS and I stayed at our Glasgow favourite, Blythswood Square Hotel . This was I think our fourth visit,  so what is it that keeps us going back? Well reason number one is that they are dog friendly, (there is a charge for dogs but they also supply beds and bowls)  DogS was welcomed even more warmly than us.  That brings me to reason number two, the staff;  everyone we've encountered throughout our visits has been friendly and helpful.  I think it makes a real difference. And no, I'm  not being paid to say that.

The last time we stayed,  just before Christmas I was feeling poorly and couldn't face a night out, this time I enjoyed two great nights, my birthday at The Finnieston and the following night a more bijou gathering at  The Pelican. Both were very good with a special mention to the The Pelican's Glasgow dish,  a slow roast pork delight, I didn't have it but MrS and the GlamourPuss did and it looked delicious.

We didn't just spend all our time eating, we had time for a bit of culture too. On Saturday we drove out to Helensburgh to visit The Hill House.  Mr S and I had been before but it was a first for Glamour Puss and  The Prof. so it was nice to share it with them.  Some extra rooms were open too with enhanced displays explaining the design features and conservation challenges ahead.  It was gorgeous enjoying the bright light filled rooms on a sunny day.

The next day MrS and I made a visit to a very different home the Tenement House another National Trust for Scotland property. This was a first for us both,  though I've wanted to visit for a  long time. Much smaller than the Hill House it still made for a fascinating visit;  the last owner Miss Toward not only kept the same furniture over the years and resisted electricity into the1960's, she also stored bills, letters and recipes which are displayed and give a wonderful insight into her life and times. There was also for MrS the memory of a similar flat and being tucked up in the box bed in the kitchen when he was unwell.

But that, as they say is another story. For another day perhaps.......




No comments:

Post a Comment