Sunday 16 August 2015

and tries not to burn the toast

Well there have been no more arachnid assaults on the breakfast table, though I had one crawling on ME the other day - ugh! And I think I've managed to remember everyone's order, either that or guests have been too polite to complain. This week's challenge has been the toast. I can't seem to get it right. It's like Goldilocks's porridge, either not toasty enough, or so past toasty it's  burnt! And our toaster can only take two slices at a time,  which get cold while I do the next set, or three.

Burnt

Raw

Both raw and burnt


An extra toaster was called for and duly bought for £8 in a local bargain store.



 Big mistake. A totally false economy.  I didn't notice that it has absolutely tiny slots for the bread so either it gets jammed and the toast can't "pop up" or I have to  trim the slices before they go in. Which gives me the choice of  burnt toast,  or something that looks as if I've trimmed the burnt bits  off. Luckily MrS is managing much better with the more complicated bits of breakfast. You know, eggs, sausages, bacon the works.




I did once have a very expensive toaster, you know the type; sturdy,  retro styling, no automatic pop up, a dial to choose the degree of toastiness, a reputation for durability and repairability, a little switch allowing you to choose one or both sides toasted. Somehow it must have taken to heart the song because that little switch just didn't work but as I'm neither an Englishman nor in New York  I like mine done on both sides. We never did find anyone who could repair it.
So what now? Scouring the review sites to try and source a reliable four slice model. And if not breaking with tradition and offering, bread. After all my first attempt at home baked wasn't too bad. And MrS is currently brewing up a sour dough starter, apparently it all starts getting dramatic tomorrow, when I  seem to recall he'll be out........

I did better with the bread 

End of complaints though, we've had a lovely sunny day today, and no sign of  the promised 5pm rain shower (It's 6:15 pm as I type). That means that several loads of laundry have been washed and then line dried outside. You may not be familiar with this but  laundry dried on the line outside beats anything you can add to the tub to give freshness.  We are lucky that we can do this, though we have to call on the tumble dryer too.
It's tiring work but enjoyable,  I love welcoming our guests and helping them to discover our beautiful  area,  and I think they've been enjoying themselves. Oh I do hope so. One thing I've found though is that when your home is also your work it's quite hard to switch off; it's too easy to check emails and social media, do a bit of accounts, bake up some cookies, sort laundry.........
And as for poor little Dogstarke, it's all a bit confusing for her as she's banished  from guest areas and tormented  by the smell of foods she's not allowed but would love. We're being extra nice to her when there's no one here, with lots of fun walks and playtime. She's never short of cuddles.


having fun on the beach 



It means I'm extra looking forward to my next trip away. And I'll try to keep it that, a leisure trip, not a fact finding mission. But you can be sure I'll tell you all about it.

Until next time,

Marina
x





spot the "just right" slice

No comments:

Post a Comment